Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I am a 38 yr old female. Partner and I want to start

Hello, I am a 38 yr old female. Partner and I want to start a family but in the last 3 months my periods have been late for 2 of them. Month 1 my period was 10 days late, then my flow was normal to heavy lasting about 6 days. Then month 2, my period arrived day 27 of my usual 28 day cycle, and it was so heavy I was flooding through my super absorbency tampons, even through my trousers. It was also so painful I thought I was going to pass out. I had to leave work early due to this. This lasted a full day. The period was heavy throughout a full 7 days. Month 3, and I am now 6 days late again. Home pregnancy test is negative. Prior to this, periods have always been regular and I stopped taking the microgynon pill 3 years ago. Grateful for any advice.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Dear JA customer,sorry to hear about your problem,i am online and will be happy to assist you.'fertility rates rapidly decline after age 35 ( females) as there is less number of functional oocytes( female gametes) remaining. so i would suggest to see your ob/gyn at earliest and check for ovarian reserve and function by testing for LH , FSH, ultrasound of uterus and ovaries.home pregnancy test does not not become positive untill almost 10 days after missing period.the reason for irregular bleedig can be due to a number of things , but it will be premature to tell any reason before examining , and ordering tests like ultrasound ( preferably transvaginal ).
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
IBS does not cause bleeding, however pain is a common feature of IBS. but this is not related.even if there are less reserves remaining , there are techniques available like ex-vivo fertilization, ovarian stimulation with clomiphene or human gonadotropins.i highly recommend consulting your obs/gynae to have examination, tests and discuss about risks, pros and cons.i hope this helps. if this helps, please click on acccept. thanksif you have any follow up question, please feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will visit my GP soonest. Should I now be worried I have left it too late to have children?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for asking .
as i said earlier, fertility rates are decreased with increasing age and risk of certain diseases like down syndrome are increased with increasing age. however, they can be easily diagnosed at around 12-16 weeks of pregnancy.
I appreciate your decision of consulting obs/gyn,
i wish you good health. good luck