Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I recently underwent spinal surgery of two

Customer Question

I recently underwent spinal surgery for decompression of two areas of my lumbar spine. on L5 I had decompression on both sides of the vertebra for compression of the sciatic nerve. Shortly before the operation I had a painful fall on my right buttock giving rise to some damage to L2/3. Here the surgeon decompressed the right side but not the left. Post the fall, I noticed an immediate impact on my bowel and bladder function with the result that I had and have great difficult passing urine and I have both numbing of an area round the sphincter and ongoing very stubborn constipation such that I am using 2 micro enemas a week to avoid a blocked bowel. Since the fall I have not had what I would call a "normal" bowel function and if I stop the micro enemas, the lower bowel fills with hard pellet-like stools which I cannot pass. Even with the enemas, I am not sure I am clearing it. I have tried All-bran, Fibre-Gel, Sennakot and Lactulose - in various combinations - as well as eating fruit and vegetables wherever possible. This has been ongoing for about six weeks now and is very depressing Can the doctors recommend how I can re-establish normal bowel movements as the whole thing is depressing and painful?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. At this point you need a colonoscopy to look for a fecal impaction but before that I would have you take a prep like GoLytely that may very well relieve the impaction re-establish your normal bowel movement pattern. You should ask your doctor about this. You have really done all you can on your own to try to resolve this Let me know if you need more information please