Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I've not been feeling well recently, lots of dizziness

Hi. I've not been feeling well recently, lots of dizziness and heart palpatations. On wednesday, my gp, took some blood tests that included checking for thyroid problems, iron deficiency and b12 deficiency (I've had problems with b12 levels before). I haven't heard anything back from my gp but today received a letter from the hospital with an appointment for an abdominal ultrasound scan, for a couple of weeks time. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
I would doubt it.
They probably found some anemia and are looking for a source in the belly.
However, most likely you are anemic due to menstrual bleeding.
I wouldn't be too worried about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a coil fitted so do not have any menstrual bleeding.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm a different expert. The ultrasound wouldn't be looking for a bleeding source like fibroids if you don't have periods. This may not be an anemia problem but it could be a low thyroid problem or a heart arrhythmia problem. I don't think there's much reason for concern here but you need to check with your GP about the blood results Let me know if you need more information please
Thank you. I didn't realize that you weren't having menstrual bleeding. In that case, they might have found something else in the blood work. For example, maybe your liver function was off and they are looking for a liver or gall bladder issue.I still wouldn't be overly concerned but I would definitely touch base with your GP to explore further
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. Just so you'll know a gall bladder or liver problem wouldn't cause dizziness and palpitations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you both! I will contact my gp on Monday. I don't have a family history of thyroid, heart or liver problems. This is why I didn't call for my blood results yesterday as I assumed they would be clear. To be honest, I thought I'd just have an ear problem with the dizziness!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi this could be an ear problem like you say but I would really like to know how it goes when you contact your GP. For now please rate my service to you for the time I've spent with you
It still could be an ear issue. That would be associated with dizziness with position changes of the head or lying down and turning over.Dizziness with standing indicates another issuePlease click a positive rating for me. 5 stars is appreciated.
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States