Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son who is 17 years old is a football soccer apprentice

My son who is 17 years old is a football soccer apprentice for a professional football team here in the UK. He is generally fit and health - trains with the football team 5 days a week and plays a match on a Saturday. For a few years he has been experiencing his feet going numb whilst playing in the match. In training throughout the week his feet do not feel numb however when he increases intensity in the game he experiences a numb feel where he describes his feet feeling like blocks of wood. Any ideas what this might be as he seems to have become slower in his game because of this problem. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

his numbness could be due to decrease blood flow into his leg when he is increasing his intensity in the game. he could be having vascular blood vessel spasms causing decrease blood flow into the leg causing numbness

or he could be having pressure on a nerve or pinching of his nerve from his muscles possibly tightening up before an intense game which can cause numbness.

he might need to do more stretching exercises or yoga and increase flexibility to help stretch his muscles so that he does not continue to pinch nerves from his muscles during intense games.

how much stretching does he as part of his training?

has he tried to do any advanced stretching and increase flexibility?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi he does complain of very tight calfs but does stretch a lot which is strange. We took him to get his feet properly measured today and he has a size H (UK) width which apparently is very wide. We are looking to purchase wider boots for him to see if this helps. The problem normally starts with strong tightness in the achilles and arch of the foot area and as the game goes on the foot begins to numb until the foot goes completely numb.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
larger wider shoes most likely will helpwith more intense games, he most likely is having swelling of his feethe should be icing his feet after gameshe might benefit from foam roller stretching of his calf as well.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com