Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My son who is 17 years old is a football soccer apprentice

My son who is 17 years old is a football soccer apprentice for a professional football team here in the UK. He is generally fit and health - trains with the football team 5 days a week and plays a match on a Saturday. For a few years he has been experiencing his feet going numb whilst playing in the match. In training throughout the week his feet do not feel numb however when he increases intensity in the game he experiences a numb feel where he describes his feet feeling like blocks of wood. Any ideas what this might be as he seems to have become slower in his game because of this problem. Thanks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, Medical Specialist.I am here to provide great service.Your son is experiencing these symptoms from nerve compression at the ankle level.Running, jumping on hard surface can cause nerve compression.Posterior tibial and peroneal nerves both can get compressed at ankle level.This is also known as tarsal tunnel syndrome.This can be treated with specially modified orthotic shoes and physical therapy.A podiatrist should be consulted with for orthotic shoes.The condition is treatable but should be addressed soon to avoid any further damage to the nerves. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.Please rate me 5 stars, if you do not have any further question.