Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Will taking dalteparin and clopidogrel days cause and

will taking dalteparin and clopidogrel for 176 days cause and undesirable effects
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.It does not matter how long you take these drugs together if they are being taken in the prescribed doses and under check. Dalteparin is a low molecular weight heparin and Clopidogrel is an anti platelet. Both are used to inhibit blood clotting. Both potentiate each others effect, if the drugs have been started under supervision of a physician, they can be taken together for long periods of time - 6 months to a year without any serious side effects. Physician's supervision is important and monthly or two monthly check ups with lab investigations can confirm if the drugs are working in synergy.Let me know if you need any more information about this.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had an ischemic big toe due to narrowing of the artery behind my right knee and was scheduled to have an angioplasty. When I went for the operation, the surgeon decided that the pulse in my foot was strong enough to warrant staying on the medication and being monitored in 6 months. I had been taking he combination from 25th March and I asked if I should still be using the Dalteparin and was told to stop. I stoped on the 16th and since then have had a constant headache and stomach upsets. Is this normal or should I contact my GP?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for reply.
You should contact your GP to have a thorough examination and evaluation for adjustment of medicines if needed.
Please do leave a positive rating.
Wish you good health.