Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

This is probably a stupid question, but can is inserting

Customer Question

This is probably a stupid question, but can is inserting a hot pepper in your anus as a dare dangerous? I mean, is there a chance you can get incontinence problems or nerve damage?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

yes, this is dangerous.

you can burn your rectal mucosa

hot pepper contains Capsicum which is in pepper spray and can burn your eyes and nose and will burn your rectal mucosa as well

so it is dangerous.

so don't do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what if I did for just a minute or so.. it didn't hurt that much.. I'm unsure if it's panic or I actually have leaks.. what do you think the likelihood for that is? Do I risk permanent damage?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you didn't cause nerve damage or permanent nerve damage after just a minute.you are probably having panic.you shouldn't do it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you so much... it might have been 1-3 minutes to be hones and no pain... so chances are slim.. it's just panic? of course I won't do it again, I was an idiot.. likelihood of actual damage is small?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, it just panic.you don't have actual damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! It's a relief my idiocy didn't cause real damage.. Sorry for the stupid question but I heard about the potential risks after the fact and didn't know for sure if I actually damaged my nerves, anal sphincters or it's just constipation that makes me feel leaky.. in the past I had occurring hemorrhoids that came and went due to my diet and sedentary work that also made me feel leaky at times.. I'm thankful you think the likelihood of me getting damage from this is small.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome

thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor,

On my previous question, I just want to add one other question:

Can a slight watery discharge and flatulence be explained by my constipation or does it still rule out me having caused damaged by my previous description?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
constipation can cause watery discharge and mucus and flatulence.

it doesn't mean you have damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lastly, is there a particular telltale sign that might indicate damage I might have caused that should prompt me to see a doctor? What kind of symptom would clearly indicate damage in my case? For instance, if I pass normal stool tomorrow yet my symptoms continue would that then indicate a potential problem?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your anxiety is bad
you don't need to worry about permenent damage.
if you don't have damage now, you don't have to worry.
you need to work on fixing your constipation with eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water and fluids.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm anxious by nature; and this is my last question as I don't want to abuse your time: Would there be a clear symptom indicative of damage so I can rest assured if I don't have it?

Thank you for your prompt answers!

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes you would have clear symptoms right away if you had damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, but to fully get closure, what would such a symptom be? how would I tell! knowing that would completely answer my question!

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your symptoms of mocuous discharge and gas is from constipation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you!

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome.