DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

At a routine medical examination my doctor used an instrument

Hello. At a routine medical examination my doctor used an instrument that resembled a tuning fork to test my sensory perception over various parts of my body. It transpired that my ability to feel this in my lower limbs (mainly the feet) was significantly less than elsewhere in my body. I have no pain associated with this, and am curious as to why this should be so.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HIThis would be loss of vibratory sense.This can happen in demylenating neuropathies.If the sense is just a little reduced, it might not be significant.If there is a concern, then you need an EMG/nerve conduction study, which will measure muscular and nerve function. l OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.