Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 73 years old, male and married. My wife & I haven't had

I am 73 years old, male and married. My wife & I haven't had sex for about 13 years, since my father died and my Auntie (his sister) had a big fall-out over his Will. (She subsequently made a new Will and left us nothing).
My wife has Crohn's disease and has had an ileostomy since 1989; she has also developed a bladder problem, so she has to keep herself 'padded up' at all times. In recent years, she had a heart attack and had to have a couple of stents in; the following year, I suffered angina and had to have 3 stents in. Since then, my wife has had both knees replaced, and last year she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had to have a mastectomy, but has recovered well, and the Oncologist doesn't want to see her for another year.
We still love each other very much, and I like to think that we may yet have sex again, but I recently found that I can't ejaculate. I have been masturbating since I was 6 or 7 years old - since my Mother and Father separated, I believe; I was subsequently brought up by my Dad, my Grand-parents and my Auntie (the one I mentioned earlier). My wife doesn't know about my masturbating, and I am not sure how she would react if I told her about it. I have found it to be a comfort in recent years, and I am now worried that I may not be able to ejaculate ever again. I can still have an orgasm, but it takes me a long time to get there, and it is less pleasureable without ejaculation.
Do you think the reason for my being unable to ejaculate is purely part of the ageing process, or could it be due to the drugs I am on following my angina, or, possibly, as a result of taking Tamsulosin to help improve my night-time bladder problems? If you need a list of my medications, I will be happy to provide you with them. I hope you can help, as I don't view the future with much pleasure if I think we could never have satisfactory sex again. Philip
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I need a list of all of your medications

some antidepression medications like zoloft and paxil or effexor can decrease your ability to ejaculate.

sometimes as we get older, we can also have a harder time ejaculating.

you should see your GP doctor about this and talk to your doctor. your doctor should not be discussing your sexual issues with your wife. your GP should be practicing patient confidentiality with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is a list of my medications:

Aspirin 75mg dispersible - one daily

Simvastatin 20mg - one to be taken at night

Bisoprolol 2.5mg - one daily

Ramipril 2.5mg - one daily

Omeprazole 20mg gastro-resistant - one daily

Solifenacin 10mg - one at night

Tamsulosin 400microgram modified release - one each morning.

Thanks for your help. Philip

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
tamsulosin can cause abnormal ejaculation and no ejaculation side effects.this is the medication which is most likely causing the problem.what happens if you don't take the tamsulosin?do you have problems with urination and more frequent urination at night time?this is a medication used to help relax your bladder smooth muscles to help improve urination flow if you have an enlarged prostate gland.ask to your doctor to switch to hytrin or (terazosin) which could cause you less problems with abnormal ejaculation.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com