Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 80years old woman. I have had a fall in the garden and

Customer Question

I am 80years old woman. I have had a fall in the garden and now have an excruciating pain in the waist and find it difficult to get up without using my arms as support.
Lying on the bed is bearable but painful when I start moving.
Should I leave it to rest or exercise even though it is painful?
I've been to the hospital and been given conflicting advice.
One said to rest and the other to exercise.
I would like a 2nd opinion.
Please advise. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No you shouldn't leave this to rest or exercise--you need both x-rays and MRI's of you lumbar spine and hips to check for any fractures or ruptured disks. This could be a surgical problem Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response on what to do next. I have had an X-ray and 3 doctors after been taken to the A&E or ED and 1 night at the EDOU but was told I have no broken bones in the spine. They put me on codine and paracetamol but found that the codine was causing sickness and changed to Ibuprofen and Omeprazole. What is your 2nd opinion on this case whether to I should lie still or exercise still? Please advise. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you're having that much pain you still need an MRI of your lumbar spine and until a disk problem is checked out you shouldn't exercise and stay off your feet as much as possible