Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 53 year old lady. Post menopausal and the only medicine

I am a 53 year old lady. Post menopausal and the only medicine I take is eltroxin for an under active thyroid. I got a bad kidney infection about 4 weeks ago and took a course of antibiotics. I did improve initially but last week the symptoms returned and I'm just on the last day of a second round of antibiotics. I feel my symptoms are worse rather than getting better. The pain in my back is killing me and my tummy feels constantly swollen and Uncomfortable. The first urine test tested positive for ecoli the second urine test hasn't come back yet. I'm so worried that I may have ovarian cancer. Why am I not getting better
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I see no reason for a worry about ovarian cancer here but you need to see what the second test shows since there may be another bacteria involved that may need a different antibiotic to treat the infection. There's also the possibility of a kidney stone here so I would get a ct scan of your abdomen to check for that Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I shouldn't b checking the Web but the symptoms I have seem to match exactly to the symptoms of ovarian cancer. Is there a link between ovarian cancer and recurring kidney infections? Is it unusual that my symptoms did not respond to the second course of antibiotics...Which are different to the first course. Changed to coamoxiclay bluefish. I'm so worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, there's no link between recurrent kidney infections and ovarian cancer. I understand your concern but seriously I seen nothing about this that makes me think of ovarian cancer. You may need a course of either Septra DS or Levaquin as a more effective antibiotic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am never sick and haven't taken antibiotics in years. Before the summer I was diagnosed with hpylori and started triple therapy. It has been downhill since then shortly after the first kidney infection and 2 weeks later the second. Could there b a link between the symptoms I'm having now and the h pylori which I feel did not respond to those
antibiotics either. Thank you for helping
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, no link to the H pylori at this time
I really think you don't need to worry more about this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but keep in touch and please remember to rate my service to you