DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have an issue with my knee, I feel a rubbing pain when walking

I have an issue with my knee, I feel a rubbing pain when walking which has got worse to the right of my knee cap and sometimes a burning sensation when sitting down, any idea what might be wrong?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloArthritisOr , ligament damage. You need an immediate orthopedic exam, maybe an MRI if indicated by exam.The mainstay of treatment first will be physical therapy, unless there is a surgical problem. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The pain inside the knee joint with weight bearing suggests wear and tear on the meniscus the membrane covering the bony surfaces forming the joint.The reduced amount of lubricating fluid in the joint makes it more apparent.In other words, you are developing osteoarthritis of the joint.Natural supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, Turmeric can be tried daily to prvent further progression.Over the counter medications like Ibuprofen can be tried for immediate pain control.Please apply ice and heat alternately every 5 minutes to reduce joint inflammation.Please use a knee sleeve during walking to support the joint well.Avoid too much walking for a week or so till the pain subsides.For persistent symptoms, you will need to see a specialist called orthopedic specialist for further evaluation.Intra articular injections of steroid and Hyaluronic acid derivatives often provide long lasting relief.Knee strengthening exercises also help a lot to reduce the symptoms and improve your mobility.Here is a link to the types of exercises favored for this problem:http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00564Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-m
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.You can save time, and insure accurate, safe, and comprehensive answers by requesting me.Use a long request lock.Use "For Dr. Thomas only" in the title.Make sure your question is submitted to the medical category.If you have any problems, contact customer service for help in what you want to do.I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloYou need the exam.There are aspects of this that are not typical of meniscus injury.even the lower spine can be involved.You need a comprehensive structural exam.I disagree that this is meniscus, or that it is home treatment.In addition Glucosamine has recently been shown to be ineffective.Turmeric reduces inflammation, but has not been shown to prevent progression of established knee disorders. Please click a positive on my post, if you wanted to see that I am credited.Thanks.You can save time, and insure accurate, safe, and comprehensive answers by requesting me.Use a long request lock.Use "For Dr. Thomas only" in the title.Make sure your question is submitted to the medical category.If you have any problems, contact customer service for help in what you want to do.I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.