Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have an injury to my foot. When i exercise or use my foot

Customer Question

i have an injury to my foot. When i exercise or use my foot there is not pain, but after when i have sat down for a while, my foot swells up and really hurts when i put weight on it. The problem has been going to since about january. I did some long haul flights prior to it hurting; but i am not sure that they are related. i have played sports and worked continuously since then and i have put up with the pain. hen for the last 7 weeks i have given it lots of rest. But the problem still persists.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. There are a few possibilities here You may have a deep venous thrombosis in a leg vein and I would get a Doppler venous flow study to look for that There could be an entrapment/tendonitis problem in the ankle and foot and I'd get an MRI to check for that Finally this could be a circulation problem called Raynaud's phenomenon which it related to autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis and you need blood work to check antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate and C reactive protein You need to see your doctor to evaluate all of these Let me know if you need any more information please