Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

There Doctors, I am currently in the NHS waiting line

Hi there Doctors,
I am currently in the NHS waiting line to see a physiotherapist however the waiting time is excessively long. I am hoping to get some input from a medical professional sooner.
My problem is a lower back issue, I am 30 years old, weigh about 80kg, approximately 1.8m high and live a relatively healthy lifestyle. (fresh produce and 3-5 days exercising of some sort per week)
History:
November 2013 out of the blue I started getting a light throbbing back pain, over time it has progressively gotten worse and after multiple visits to the GP and associated group discussion sessions I have finally been referred to a specialist however, the pain is quite bad and does affect my work as I sit at a computer at least 5hrs every day
Symptoms:
-Consistent
-Throbbing - it radiates strongly then weakly then mediocre weak strong etc.
-More pronounced when sitting
-Primarily in the lower back and coccyx areas
-Radiates into buttocks on both sides
-Sometimes radiates down to the right calf like a hot wave
-Walking and running relieve the discomfort and pain (barely feel it)
- I can bring on the pain by making certain movements
- When sitting on the floor and leaning forward
i) pushing my head down and towards my chest increases the pain,
ii) similarly straightening my legs and pushing my toes towards myself also worsens the pain.
I wonder if waiting the 4 months is really in my best interest given I have already waited 2 years. Perhaps I could get some advice in what to do while I wait or alternatively and preferably get some immediate help.
Thanks very much for the attention.
Kind Regards
Vaughan Houseman
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question? What investigations were done? What did your doctor say was the cause for your symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor never mentioned a cause, he lay me down and checked my motor function by making me lift my legs one at a time vertically. I successfully achieved this and he wanted to send me for X-rays after which I told him this has already happened. IO then also informed him I had already been on one of those group session "triage's" so he decided to just refer me. I got the letter last night which said Il be waiting around 4 months.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Additional investigations such as MRI or CT scan need to be done, so that the cause for your symptoms and the cause for the compression of the nerve in the back needs to be found out. If your pain is not responding to medications and increasing progressively, then based on the cause surgery may relieve your symptoms. In addition to the medication and exercises, you may also apply heat to the areas that hurt by using hot packs, a heat lamp or a heating pad on the lowest setting. Seeing a physiotherapist which you will be doing will be beneficial and they will do ultrasound, electric muscle stimulation, traction, heat and ice, and manual therapy to relieve your pain. Lastly seeing a pain specialist may be beneficial and this specialist may do various procedures which will give you relief. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response,1. How am I to get the MRI and CT scans
2. What should I do in order to get a better response time, 4 months is a long time to wait when you're in this sort of discomfort.
3. I'm worried about long term ongoing problems because of inaction to sort this out.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Since your symptoms are chronic and there is no emergency, you cannot hasten the process of waiting. The only way to get the investigations done is to get it done with private consultation and treatment. Please continue with the medications and exercises and also avoid the activities which may worsen your pain. Sit in a good posture on an ergonomic chair. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/office-ergonomics/art-20046169 Take care.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response and as it seem I will not get much more from this discussion,
Please accept my feedback.In essence I have taken away from this that in addition to everything I'm doing already I should try putting some heat on my back and perhaps see a pain therapist,other than that I must wait for an appointment from the NHS.
You advised me I should get some additional diagnosis but I had to ask how to do this as I think it is quite obvious anyone would opt to do any diagnosis possible if the opportunity arose.In any case thank you for your time at least.Take CareI think you you would benifit from