Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My mother saw a GP during a home visit yesterday for

Customer Question

My mother saw a GP during a home visit yesterday for a large bruise / blister on her leg after knocking it badly. The GP said it would eventually burst and said he'd arrange for district nurses to see to it.
The district nurse came out today and was questioning the GP's opinion, asked if he had looked at mum's leg, he had. She then said she thought it might need something done elsewhere, not sure what but said she'd have a word with the head nurse and they'd return tomorrow, take a photo and decide what to do.
I'm anxious to keep mum out of hospital as she has dementia and it distresses her greatly.
So my question is, is the nurse's opinion likely to change what the GP had wanted for mum's treatment ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I can't predict what the GP doctor will do.
I can't see your mother's leg large bruise.

you should be elevating the leg as much as possible to help decrease swelling and putting an ice pack on the leg with a towel wrapped around it to help decrease swelling.

bruises can take several weeks to sometimes months to slowly improve

if she is on aspirin or coumadin or other blood thinners, the doctor may stop these medications if she has a large bruise.

have you been icing the bruised area and elevating the leg up above the heart level to help decrease swelling?

the doctor may order an ultrasound of the leg to check for blood clots and to make sure blood flow is proper in the leg.