Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have an unstable c1 c2 break. Fortunately no spinal cord

I have an unstable c1 c2 break. Fortunately no spinal cord damage. Was in a halo for 9 weeks. Recently transfered to a hard collar. Ct scan still shows fracture. No hard callus evident yet. I caught a cold just after change to neck collar. Worried I can damage healing by coughing/sneezing etc or is the soft bone healing strong enough to keep fragments aligned?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is a good concern.Sneezing and coughing can cause damage to the healing process.This is still in early phase of healing.The risk is about 20-30%.Hence, we suggest using a strong cough suppressant like codeine or hydrocodone and homatropine syrup to prevent excessive coughing.Occasional coughing should be ok.Please discuss with your doctor soon.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/