Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm 27 I've been having depression and anxiety issues over

Customer Question

Hi, I'm 27 I've been having depression and anxiety issues over 20 years and have only recently had the courage to do something about it. I have been referred to a therapist but that's going to take half a year.
At the moment my mood has been fluctuating for a while but now is really going downhill to a point of having seriously dark thoughts. This came about after being declined a holiday at work because I used all my holidays which I was confused with. The holiday I booked abroad was supposed to be partly business but mainly as a therapeutic way to bring myself together and help with my depression which I was counting on. Now however it's been quashed and I feel helpless and hopeless, I had a panic attack as a result as my one hope of helping myself in a big way has been taking away. I feel empty and seriously tired mentally which is why I needed 9 days in October to sort myself out. I feel if I don't take this opportunity I will end up with a breakdown.
My question is this, is it possible to get my GP to sign me off sick for that week in order to attend an opportunity that would be extremely beneficial to my mental health?, if so I worry it could lead me to being fired as I already had too many days off in an unrelated matter.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You definitely need to talk to your GP about this and tell him everything you've told me. He should be able to work this out for you and he can use as his reason your lack of energy and fatigue as a medical reason for getting tests and such. I think he'll be able to accommodate you so that you can take the trip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much I will do this soon as possible
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but be sure to let me know how it goes