Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have had what has been diagnosed as sebborhic dermatitis

I have had what has been diagnosed as sebborhic dermatitis showing itself As redness around the nose, side of the ears, above the eyebrows and now inside the ear has flakey skin. On top of that, the back of the ears are splitting and secreting an oily substance. I have been to the Drs on many occasions ending up with a hydrocortisone cream. In between all this I have spent a small fortune on various lotions and potions. I accept that I may have to live with this condition but it's getting worse and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to ease the 'flare ups'. Are there any tests available that might pinpoint certain foods, for example......I will try anything! I am an instructor and have to stand up in front of people with my skin flaking off before me..... Embarrassing or what!!!! Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This picture shows it at a mild stage after using hydrocortisone cream..... Can't really take a pic of the worst part behind the ears.
have you tried ketoconazole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to my knowledge.... Is this another cream? The only thing wrong with the hydrocortisone cream is the damage it can cause with long term use. Is this similar and can it be applied to open wounds?
This is the best treatment for this problem. It is an antifungal cream or shampoo. It works excellently for seb derm. There is no harm of long term use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get this off the shelf without prescription and does it come under any other guise?
I don't think you can get it OTC. I'm not sure about in the UK though.It doesn't have any other name other than nizoral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear....... Tried that...... Made it worse!!
really? that is strange. Then it is not seborrheic dermatitis.it is something else.
maybe rosacea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions for that?
finacea gel or metronidazole gel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will try this out.
welcome :)please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
thanks!