DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been ill month now, it started as a sore throat,

Customer Question

Hi, I have been ill for a month now, it started as a sore throat, swollen glands and a cough, saw my gp after a week and was prescribed a 10 day course of penicillin, at the end of the course my symptoms had changed and when I coughed I choked and was gasping for air, couldn't get my breath and was then sick, that changed to just bringing up air most of the time and burping alot. Back to gp, said it could be croup advised me to steam and increase inhalers (I am asthmatic). No better by end of week 3, back to gp again, prescribed a weeks course of steroids which I finish tomorrow and waiting on a blood test. I now have a very itchy, tickly and sore sensation in right side of throat going up into ear, still coughing, still choking and gasping, can't lay down the tickle makes me gag straight away. Very worried, can't function and don't know what to do, please help, thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
the throat needs to be cultured.
You also need a mono test.
Unidentified bacteria, or mono, would be two typical problems.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.