Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My question is health. On June 28th I had unprotected

Hi.. My question is sexual health.
On June 28th I had unprotected sex with a low risk female. Before that I last had sex 5 months prior (long term partner) And her last sexual encounter was 14 months prior!
Afterwards I was overcome by fear that I may of caught something, and quickly spiralled into a state of "health anxiety"
I went to the gum clinic 6 days afterwards and had tests, but was told it was borderline on the time for a reliable result, so came back 3 days later for the same tests (ghonorea & clamydia) both came back negative. I then went back 2 weeks later for same tests- negative result. I went to a private clinic for a 10 pcr HIV test (on day 12) that was negative. I also had a 6 week HIV test, and again it was negative!
So I'm taking it anything like the above can be ruled out.
My big fear at this time is Genital herpes, and would like some advice if possible.
2 weeks after the incident I came up with "jock rot" up both sides of my groin. I had a private consultation and was told at the gum clinic AND the private clinic that it was just that, jock rot/fungal infection, and it was where I was sweating so much, and in a state of health anxiety. So my mind was put at rest. For the last 5ish weeks, I've had a "cool" feeling in the head of my penis, and goes half way down the shaft, along with a little bit of aching.
I have no burning when I urinate, no sores or blisters have ever materialised, and no discharge whatsoever.
I have visited the GUM clinic 3 times, the doctors 5 times, had a private consultation and get the feeling that they are getting tired of me when I mention anything!
I am on anxiety medication now which I've been taking for over a week!
The reason the anxiety is so strong is because I'm married, and this is the first time I've ever strayed in my life. And to say it's nearly destroyed me is an understatement, with the feeling of regret, guilt and shame, and would never ever wish to do it again. I admitted it to my wife, and we are working through it, and in many ways more stronger than ever. But I have this overwhelming fear that something is still there, even though I've been tested (that only covers certain sti's) numerous times.
Is there an explanation you can give me that could shed any light on the subject please.
If there's anything else you wish to know then please do not hesitate to ask
Kindest regards
James
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

jock itch and jock fungal infection is not a STD and is common if you have excessive moisture down in the groin area. fungus likes to grow in the skin in dark, warm, moist areas.

I am glad you talked to your wife about it

are you having excessive sweating or moisture down in your groin area? this can cause jock itch fungal infection. this is not a sexually transmitted disease.

it sounds like you have been sweating lots in that area.

that will cause fungus to grow in your groin area.

let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi doctor David,
Thankyou for your reply, and the reason I stated the "jock rot/itch" was because I have read certain things (right or wrong) that herpes can manifest in that form, or even as something as little as what we think is a pimple! I used the fungal cream they prescribed me, and it did go, and hasn't come back since.
My biggest concern however, is the five weeks of a "cool" feeling in my shaft/head of penis, along with a very low form of aching. This is what worries me the most? I've been told it's all in my head, and it's psychosomatic.. Could this be the case? And am I worrying about nothing?
James
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if you have bad anxiety symptoms, it can magnify normal symptoms if you are very worried.it sounds like you are very worried.I am glad the antifungal cream has worked.you can use baby powder in your groin area a few times a day to help stay dry.I am not worried about herpes or that cool sensation in the penis.it sounds like you are letting your anxiety and worry symptoms get out of control with worry here.you don't have to worry about herpes.herpes would not get better with antifungal cream.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dictor David,
I really do appreciate your answer.. And this is my last question
I did let my health anxiety get really bad, to the point where I lost a stone of weight in just over a week (2/3 weeks after the incident)
But I have been allot better since then. So that is why the "cool" feeling worries me, as I wasn't anywhere near my height of anxiety, and that's when it started.
Even if the "fungal infection" can be put down to just that, I thought the "cool/achy"!feeling in my penis might be a symptom of herpes, as on "google" (bad move I know) it says it can be one of the factors of it and can start anywhere up to 3 months after exposure! If it isn't that, what could this cool feeling be?
James
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if you have anxiety, you can have decrease blood flow to your penis and the penis can get smaller and feel cold.anxiety can kill off erections and stop sexual desire that that.I suspect that is what is going on.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amazing answer... Thankyou doc!!!
Blessings to you my friend
James