Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 21 years old and ever since I started my period

Hello, I am 21 years old and ever since I started my period when I was 14 I had extremely bad one to the point where on my first day I would be vomiting all day the second day I would have no energy I would have to lay in bed all day. I went to the doctors and they had put me on all types of meds but none worked. I then started to use the pill which still didn't help so I got the implant in stead which helped a lot but I still have heavy period. Only last year did I start getting ill again so I asked for a scan to make sure everything was okay down there. They discovered I had a cyst on both my ovieres one only small but the other was reaching on for 6cm. I had the operation to remove them and had the coil put in as the doctor suggest. Now 7 months after my op my periods have been better but they are no extremely watery and it smells really bad I've also been getting my pains come back which come in small fast waves but sometimes make me have to stop what I'm doing till it passes. Is there anything you could advise me on as to the watery periods?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you should ask your doctor to check your blood androgen levels. in some women, their ovaries can make too much androgen hormones which can cause weight gain and abnormal and irregular periods.

have you had your blood androgen levels checked?

have you had LH and FSH and pituitary hormones checked? these can also affect your periods.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert and from what you've said I don't think this is a hormonal problem. It sounds like you have an infection in your vagina and perhaps also in your pelvis and your tubes. You need cultures done of your vagina to look for this and you probably need antibiotics for it
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.