Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My 6 month old daughter has been twitching the last few days.

My 6 month old daughter has been twitching the last few days. But today I noticed a really big one which I manage to record. Not sure what they could be. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Can you please describe what exactly happened? Did she twitch with arms or legs, or did she have cramps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her whole body twitched. Like when you're about to fall asleep and you twitch to wake again. It was after she had woken up and was watching cartoons on her high chair. So she was very still I managed to see exactly what was happening. She did have a few small ones where it's just her upper side of the body.
Thank you. Did she stay conscious? Did she bite her tongue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she was awake and no tongue biting.

Ok, that is good, because epilepsy is much less likely then. It may be the tv. Children of that age are not able to follow cartoons on tv, because their vision is not clear yet and the action is far too quick. Furthermore the changing lights and colours on the screen are too much for a sensitive nervous system of a baby. Imagine were she was only six month ago! Light and vision there where always the same. Please don't let her watch tv before she is at least two, better three years old. For now: The twitching should stop after a week without tv, except in the moment she falls asleep or wakes up, or gets frightened. If not, she should see a doctor. I wish her and you all the best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it could happen when she first wakes up?

Yes, because this is a frightening moment for little children. Reality is louder and brighter than their dreams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it happen if she's teething?
No.