Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have noticed a small amount of blood in the first flow of

Customer Question

I have noticed a small amount of blood in the first flow of urine. Is this a concern?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is enough of a concern that you should be checked. Isolated episodes of blood at the start of urine are not as worrisome, but since this has been present for a week, it would be appropriate to be checked, even if it is not occurring with each urination.

Some of the reasons for blood at the start of urination are relatively minor and easy to treat, such as an infection, but it is still appropriate to be seen for proper treatment. The infection could be of the prostate or bladder, although prostate infections are more common than bladder infections, as bladder infections occur much less frequently in men than woman. There are some more serious conditions that can present with blood at the start of urination, and the most concerning would be cancer. Of all the men that present with such bleeding, it is only a fraction that are ultimately found to have cancer. However, it is important to find those people as early as possible.

So, it would be appropriate to be seen. If there are no systemic signs of significant infection, it does not need to be an emergent visit over the weekend, but it would be appropriate to contact your doctor once the office opens.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.