Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I went to a&e yesterday with torticollis which I had ten

Hi I went to a&e yesterday with torticollis which I had ten months ago. I got prescribed the same drugs as before naproxen, diazepam and cocodamol. I took 2x naproxen 2x cocodamol and 1x diazepam at 2:50 in a&e then I took another one of each at 6:50. In the middle of the night I woke up and I had a dull ache in the middle of my tummy about 3 inches above my belly button in the space my ribs meet and after re reading my medicine I shouldn't have taken the naproxen for another 4 hours. I haven't taken anything At all today and the pain eases with heat but I'm worried that it could be something serious such as a stomach ulcer I'm not sure how quickly they develop. I'm a 22 year old white female please can you give me some advice
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What symptoms are you having at present? Did you take any medication to decrease the gastric acidity? If yes, did they relieve your symptom? Did having food relieve your symptoms? Are you able to do your daily activities? Any other symptoms such as vomiting or fever? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am overcoming the flu. I haven't taken any medication today as I've been worried that it may be some of the medication I've taken last night that has caused the problem. I haven't vomited but the pain I'm feeling is like a dull ache I almost feel as if someone has punched me in the tummy. I have eaten however this didn't relieve my symptoms. I was just concerned that taking the 250mg naproxen earlier than I should has caused the problem
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Your concern is justified since taking naproxen even in the usual doses may cause indigestion, stomach irritation, and even acute gastritis which is inflammation of the lining of the stomach, and this may cause pain in the chest below the breastbone and also in the upper abdomen. Taking this medication may reduce a key substance that helps preserve the protective lining of your stomach. Hence to decrease this side effect of naproxen you may take other medications such as zantac or prilosec. These will reduce the stomach acid and relieve your symptom of abdominal pain. You need to see your doctor if you have mild abdominal pain for a week or longer despite taking the acid reducing medication such as prilosec. However if any new symptom develops or if you are vomiting blood, have blood in your stools or have stools that appear black, see your doctor right away to determine the cause. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I continue to take the cocodamol and diazepam for the torticollis?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes you may continue to take the medications as prescribed by your doctor. Take care.