DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My brother in law is waiting date hip replacements.

Hello My brother in law is waiting for a date for 2 hip replacements. Due to the pain he has been prescribed morphine, now he is getting massive electric shocks through his body about every 30mins can you help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloI am not really sure what your question is.This is a job for whomever is prescribing the morphine.Changing medicines might help, if this is a rare side effect.Shocks can also be from spinal disease, and he needs is discs checked as well.He also needs his electrolytes checked as well. Hopefully, you are not suggesting we supply medications, which is a felony. I can not tell from your initial post. Let me know what other questions there are. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you herd of this problem before is there an alterative to morphine so he can see if that is a side effect.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes
For example
Fentanyl patch.
A synthetic, and a low dose patch should be as good as morphine.
His doctor must know about the symptom however.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jon is now on the patches you recommend and feeling better while waiting for his op.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
any questions

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.