Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My son has had a problem since he was 12 he is now 36. He has

Customer Question

My son has had a problem since he was 12 he is now 36. He has to get blood transfusions every couple of months. He's had 4 pints recently. Anyone else would be in a coma, but because he's had the condition for so long his body has adjusted. He has had various tests and doctors cannot find out what is wrong with him. He has been tested in the Hospital in Sutton Coldfield, The Royal Hospital in Belfast and now in the main Hospital in Stoke on Trent. So he has seen various doctors and consultants. His diet is fine and he is fit in every other way. He works full time. I was wondering if he should ask for a test on Lyme desease.? There must be someone out there that can help him, his condition is getting worse and it is a big strain on his heart. I'm afraid he will go into a coma and not waken up. What can I do ?
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Blood loss or disability to build enough blood is the suspected reason for this condition. I assume your son had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. What else has been invesigated?
Did they find blood in his stool tests? Did they check his bone marrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have blood in his stools.He has had several colonoscopy and gastoscopy and swallowed a camera.
They have not checked his bone marrow. He has had radio active injections and scans recently they have found pollops. They are taking a long time to tell him what the polops are. You think he should have a bone marrow checked ?
Thank you for the further informations.
I don't thnik he has to has his bone marrow checked, when it is quite clear that he is losing his blood via his bowels. The polyps may be the source of this blood loss. If possible, the polyps can be extirpated; this would end the blood loss.
He should be screened for Osler's disease, if he has other signs (red spots in his face, nose bleeding...). If not, this is not necessary.
He won't fall into coma when he has his blood works done regularily, because then he will get his blood pints early enough.
Please wait for the plans concerning the polyps. I hope that everything gets to an end when they take those out.
I wish your son the very best!