Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am suffering extreme anxiety and depression. This has

Customer Question

Hello I am suffering extreme anxiety and depression. This has come about since coming off Dothiepin approx 2 months ago as I thought it was exacerbating my palpitations. However, my GP prescribed Mirtazepine 15mg and initially I halved them to test that they wouldn't make me too anxious. As 7mg was having no effect I did start 15mg four weeks ago and 30mg following that on my GP's instruction. So, I have been taking 30mg now for 13 days to be exact. I have had one session of CBT and read three self help books which really have helped. Though today I have been really anxious and can't seem to settle and am afraid that it could be the Mirtazepine and consequently I don't know what to do. I'm shaking, please can you help? I'm 56.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I don't think the problem right now is the Mirtazepine and you need to give the extra dosage more time to work as it may take another one to two weeks to take full effect.
That said, you also need to have a thyroid function test as well as a urine catecholamine test if you haven't had those to check for an overactive thyroid and a rare adrenal tumor called a pheochromocytoma that secretes adrenaline to make sure the problem isn't a physical one
Let me know if you need more information please