Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Just turned a young 70. Leaving trekking trip

Just turned a young 70. Leaving for Himalayas trekking trip own guide includes Everest Base Camp. Max altitude 5500m and will be at between 4000 to 4500m for about 8 days.
Thoughts on taking Diamox to ease AMS??
My research reveals Diamox can kick in within hours.
Since I dont like taking pills, would prefer to only take Diamox when I feel the need rather than taking during the entire 16 day trip.
Any comment?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. The diamox is really for treating AMS once it starts and it really isn't very effective for preventing it. So basically you would only need to take if if you started having AMS symptoms and not before that. And it does begin to work in just a few hours Let me know if you need any more information please