Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I have a sore throat and red spots on the roof of my mouth

I have a sore throat and red spots on the roof of my mouth (at the back) and on the inside of my lip. They are not really ulcers, too small, but are distinct. I suspect I have a virus or fighting an infection as I have had a temperature on and off and also ache / feel run down.
Does this all sound normal?
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

This is a typical presentation of viral pharyngitis. which is a self limiting illness. treatment is supportive with drinking plenty of liquids, warm liquids like coffee ,tea help reduce the inflammation and pain,over the counter dayquil/nyquil ,over the counter analgesics like tylenol ( paracetamol ), gargles with mouth wash, bed rest is all you need.
if you develop high grade fever, wrosening of symptoms, visit your primary doctor and get rapid strep test to rule out / rule in bacterial cause of pharynigitis and get antibiotics if needed.

If you can send me a picture i can more accurately tell if this looks viral or if you need strep test/ antibiotics. but the way you told me , it definitely sounds viral.
please let me know if you have any more questions.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alison,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? how is your throat now?
please feel free to ask any follow-up questions,

Let me know,
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800

Thanks for using justanswer.com