Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a UTI and I have Cipro at home. I've had the UTI

Hi, I have a UTI and I have Cipro at home. I've had the UTI symptoms developing for 2 days and so last night I took 500mg Cipro (2 x 250 regular). I read this morning though that the dosage should be 250mg twice daily. Can I go onto the 250mg dose from this morning?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What symptoms do you have? Have you consulted your doctor or had any investigations done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Burning when peeing and the urge to always pee
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Basically only after investigations such as urine testing we can select the appropriate antibiotic which leads to significantly higher symptomatic and bacteriologic cure rates and better prevention of reinfection. Hence you need to have the test done and antibiotic needs to be started by your doctor. For uncomplicated UTI the the recommended dosage of ciprofloxacin is 250 mg twice daily for 3 days. So yes, after consulting your doctor you can take 250 mg from this morning. Take care.