Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm having severe pain on my left side under the rib cage I

Customer Question

I'm having severe pain on my left side under the rib cage I have been talking paracetamol and ibuprofen but they don't seem to be having any effect what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Using an anti-inflammatory medicine was a reasonable first choice in treating pain in this location, as there are several inflammatory conditions that can cause such pain and it may work as a general pain reliever. When it has not been helpful, the other common intervention that may help and can be done at home would be a trial of a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. An acid irritation syndrome is a common cause of abdominal pain, which is more often in the center, but can be felt on either side.
If suppression of stomach acid is not helpful, then it would be appropriate for you to be seen by your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been hospital and they suggested muscular pain but it really does not feel like that
Muscular pain is a common cause of pain in this location, but ibuprofen would usually help muscular abdominal pain. No medicine works 100% of the time, so the failure of the medicine is certainly not an absolute indication.

However, if you try a medicine to suppress stomach acid and it helps the pain, that would be strong evidence that it is from an acid irritation syndrome.