Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am pretty sure I have OCD ( past 10 years now possibly

I am pretty sure I have OCD (for the past 10 years now possibly longer), everytime I get the courage to get an appointment with the doctor I have to wait sometimes a week for an appoinment and then I lose all courage and cancel. I am really struggling at the moment and need some help. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What's the nature of your OCD--is it healthy anxiety? And do you have any medical conditions or take any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have obsessive thoughts that take up the majority of my day, I also have rituals which I have to complete in the correct way or I have to start all over again, such as washing bedding (which I have done 4 times this past week), cleaning the house, showering (sometimes 3 to 4 times in a row to get it right), obsessively using handgel when at work. This barely scratches the surface though. I have have had enough and it's getting worse and I really need some help. I am not taking any medications at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. So you haven't as yet seen either a psychologist or a psychiatrist about this?

And how does this block you from seeing a doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have made several appointments when I have had the courage to, but I always have to wait at least a week to be seen but by then I lose the courage to go and I cancel, I really don't know what to do

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--appointments with a therapist? And what specifically is the fear that makes you cancel the appointment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not fear, it's just getting the courage to actually talk about my condition with someone, waiting a week each time makes me bottle out

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So what is it that makes you reluctant to talk about this face to face when you can do it here with me online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

because I hate talking to people about personal things ever and you don't know me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand. But what is it that makes you hate that--are you thinking people will judge you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Partly, I understand what I do and why I do it and I know how weird it sounds to do the things I do, I also have never really spoken to anyone about my problems and why I have them, there's a lot of stuff I never tell people and I don;t know where to start

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand.

Do you understand that there are many, many people like you with the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know that there are, I have never met anyone else though, I am finding it increasingly difficult to communicate with other people about anything let alone my weird problems, my parents say it's all in my mind so I can just change it, but they don't really know the extent of it, and I can't stop doing the things that I do

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--before we go on here, how exactly do you want me to help you with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just don't know how to go about getting help if I keep bottling it all the time, what can I do?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. What you need to do is fight the fear and see the therapist at least for the first time. A good therapist is not going to ask you to go deeply into all the details of your life with the first session--it will be more of a getting to know each other a little and you can just briefly mention your concerns. I promise you that session will not be something that's hard and overly emotional for you. Obviously all this is bothering you to the point that you came here and asked me about it. I have several patients with OCD problems and I tell then that the first hurdle--which you've already crossed--is to realize there is a problem and to want help for it. OCD is easily treated with something called cognitive behavioral therapy so you need to put yourself first and do something positive for yourself.

Let me know if you need me to continue the discussion, please. Otherwise please consider rating my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.