Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I keep getting a shooting pain in my chest every 3-5 mins but

I keep getting a shooting pain in my chest every 3-5 mins but only when lying down to sleep. It's in the left bosom area. My pulse rate seems very fast too. I do have a lot of trapped wind. It doesn't hurt to breath and my breathing is not short. I'm not sure if I should go to A&E as this happens on and off for a few weeks.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
To give a complete answer, it will help if you could provide some further information.
When you are having the pain, is there any tenderness if you press on the chest in the area of the pain?
Since you do not comment, is it correct to assume that the Gaviscon did not help with the pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Slightly tender. No the Gaviscon hasn't worked. But I pressed the other side and that feels just as tender. It can also be front or back in the same left to middle area.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did have an ECG a few months ago and they said all was fine. However, my uncle was recently admitted and his ECG was fine but his bloods were not and showed trauma to the heart so I am also worried that my ECG may not have shown everything. Plus, I got a paramedic at my work place to take my pulse and he said I sometimes have an irregular pattern to my heartbeat.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are several issues to consider in this situation.
The most common cause of chest pain in a young adult is from musculoskeletal chest pain, most often from inflammation in the rib cage. If there is tenderness when pressing on the area of pain, that is also suggestive of musculoskeletal chest pain.
Chest pain that is worse when lying down is also suspicious for acid reflux. In many people with acid reflux, the Gaviscon will help, even if only partly. However, it will not work 100% of the time, so it may still be necessary to consider acid reflux.
At this point, it is not necessary to be seen in A&E unless there is a more severe episode of pain. It may still be necessary to be seen by your regular doctor, but there are some home interventions that can be tried first.
A rapid heart rate is non-specific, as it can increase in response to any cause of pain. If you are having an irregular pattern to the heart, it would be appropriate to get it checked, but it does not need an A&E visit.
For musculoskeletal chest pain, the usual first intervention would be an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply moist heat to the chest, which can directly ease inflammation. There also are some stronger medicines that can help with acid reflux, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. Elevating the head of the bed with 4-6 inch blocks also may be helpful. If one of these medicines ease the pain, then that would be fine and not further evaluation is necessary, but if the pain persists, then it would be appropriate to be seen by your regular doctor.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. My doctor said I had acid reflux and gave me, I believe, lanzaprole but I have run out since and truly can't remember if it helped. There is a burning sensation in the area sometimes but because the pain was a shooting pain as well (last time I went to the doctor, it was more of a dull pain) I have started to panic. The irregular heartbeat didn't show up in the ECG but did on home monitor; I can feel it when I take my pulse and it also seems to happen when I panic. Thank you, ***** ***** take some ibuprofen and see if that helps. I just didn't want to waste A&E's time.
You are very welcome.