Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Two weeks I have been feeling numbness and tingling

For pasr two weeks I have been feeling numbness and tingling in my arms and legs, what should I do? What is causing this,? It started on The left side bit nos my right arm is also affected. It is worst at night
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Numbness and tingling is usually a sign of irritation or dysfunction of a nerve. Although there are many possible causes of numbness and tingling, the most common cause of numbness and tingling in an extremity that has been present for a couple weeks is from musculoskeletal inflammation that is pressing on a nerve to that extremity. This can occur anywhere along the length of the nerve, but when multiple extremities are involved, it is most suggestive that it is from the spine.

Although further evaluation would be necessary to determine the exact cause, it would be reasonable to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If one of these medicines ease the symptoms, then no further evaluation need be considered, but if the symptoms persist or recur, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.