Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a hemorrhagic stroke in the basal ganglia region of my

I had a hemorrhagic stroke in the basal ganglia region of my right brain 18 months ago, which affected my left side of my body. I can do the basic things including walking with cane very slowly, but my progress has been very slow. Is this because it is my basal ganglia? I believe that this is the area of the brain that sends consious activities into unconscious learned activities. Can another part of my brain take over this function with time and effort?
I am male, 66 years old and have a BMI of 23
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry you had a stroke.

the basal ganglia controls a lot of communication in the brain.

it is a group of structures linked to the thalamus in the base of the brain and is involved in coordination of movement

that is why your walking and coordiation symptoms are taking longer to come back.

your walking can get better with time, but it will take more time of rehabilitation and exercise.

the brain can learn to coordinate motion and movement better with time, but it can take a long time.

keep up the walking and physical therapy.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can another part of the brain take over the function of the basal ganglia, or will it always be a consious control? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
it could take a long time

every patient is different.

you might have to have concious control of your walking for a long time.

another part of the brain may not be able to take over again.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com