Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I need help with dosage of Lorazepam anxiety.

Hello - I need help with dosage of Lorazepam for flight anxiety. I have been prescribed 1mg Lorazepam. Flight duration is 2 hours. My height is 1.7m and weight 130 lbs. I need to know how much to take and when. Also, would like to know whether food affects efficacy in any way. Many thanks if you can help.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There is no single dose of lorazepam that is used in this situation, as the dose will be adjusted according to the severity of symptoms and the previous response of the patient to the drug.
However, for someone with more significant flight anxiety symptom and who usually takes a 1 mg strength for general anxiety, then it would be common for twice the dose to be taken for flight anxiety, or a 2 mg dose in your case.
It is appropriate to take the dose about an hour before the flight and a single dose will last for the 2 hour flight. There is no significant food interaction, although it is recommended to avoid combining lorazepam with alcohol. Eating a large meal may slow the emptying of the stomach somewhat, but it would still have sufficient absorption after an hour, so it is not a clinically significant issue.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your comprehensive response, Dr Love. Extremely helpful.Just one final query - would it be alright to take another 1mg during the flight if needed? Hopefully, it won't be!Thanks again.