Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with early breast cancer. I do not want

I have been diagnosed with early breast cancer. I do not want surgery or radiation. What alternatives do I have?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Are you saying that you do not want any surgery at all?
Or that you do not want a mastectomy?
Or would just a removal of the lump be acceptable?
I notice that you do not say that you do not want chemotherapy. Does that mean that chemotherapy is preferable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would prefer not to have surgery at all.I have appnt at hospital this Thursday with their plan. I have not been told what it is yet. But they said a lump removal and poss radiation. I do not want chemotherapy either

What type of breast cancer was diagnosed?
Do you have a copy of the pathology report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will know this thursdsy

Whether there are options instead of surgery or radiation would depend upon the type and stage of the cancer. I can speak to the options and example of when it may be considered, but whether it would be appropriate for you cannot be said until the type and stage is known

For example, if you have lobular carcinoma in situ, which is a very early cancer that is still in the lining of the breast tissue and is generally less aggressive. One of the options that can be considered would be close monitoring along with the use of hormonal therapy, such as tamoxifen. Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen medicine, so blocks the effect of estrogens on the cancer cells. In a post-menopausal woman, the ovaries have essentially stopped making estrogens, but there are still some estrogens in the body, mostly from adrenal gland hormones that are being converted into estrogens.

It is importat to note that surgery is considered the gold standard, and even if the cancer has grown to Stage 1, which means that it is no longer limited to the lining of the breast, surgery is better than non-surgical intervention. The lumpectomies that can be done for most small Stage 1 cancers are not much more than a biopsy. A smaller Stage 1 cancer may be able to be treated with lumpectomy without radiation therapy.

So, whether avoiding surgery and radiation is a realistic option will depend upon the type and stage of the breast cancer.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.