Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My daughter aged 15months. Has got been vomiting after deeds

Customer Question

My daughter aged 15months. Has got been vomiting after deeds food etc. During the day she will put her fingers down her thoat to make her self sick. She gags on everything she eats or drink. They have put a camera down and found nothing mri showed a little shading on the brain but that has nothing to do with it they said. Weight has been up and down. Low blood sugars after vomiting. Painful cry hours on end. Can you help me
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Do you have the full report of the MRI? If so, can you attach the report?
Which reflux medicine is she taking?
What specialists have been seen for this thus far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I'm waiting to get a copy for her records. She is on lansoprazole 15mg half tablet twice a day. Domperidone 1ml once a day. Movicol paediatric plain 1 to 2 sachet depending on her poos. Dietian pedal speech and language.
Which camera test was done? I interreted this as an endoscoy, but I would assume that she would have at least been seen by a Gastroenterologist.
Was the CMPA diagnosed by an evaluation by an Allergist or by her reaction to foods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I think that's what is was called. Went though her mouth and down into her tummy. Ye's we did but was easy to ask and he said it will go but we have been going though this for a year. Though food milk and touching it.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are several evaluations to consider in this situation and it helps to know what specialty evaluation has been done thus far.
When a 15 month old has persistent vomiting, the most common causes are within the GI tract, and reflux is very common. However, the lansoprazole and domperidone are generally very effective at treating reflux. There also usually would be evidence of reflux on an endoscopy. If the endoscopy found nothing and the reflux medicines are not helping, it would be appropriate to consider other possibilities. Another type of condition that may not be detected by endoscopy is a disorder of muscular activity of the esophagus. A barium swallow study may find certain conditions and a test of the esophagus muscles, called manometry, may detect disordered or spastic contractions of the esophagus.
There are a couple of other organ systems that should be considered. Neurologic conditions can be a cause of vomiting. Without seeing the formal report of the MRI, it is difficult to comment upon that area of shading. However, even with a completely normal MRI, it would be appropriate to consider an evaluation by a Neurologit.
It is also appropriate to consider other food intolerance or allergies. An evaluation by an Allergist may be helpful in identifying less apparent types of sensitivities. The fact that she is placing her hand into her mouth would also raise a question of a condition causing irritation in the mouth and throat. It may help to have a detailed throat exam by an ENT specialist.
The only other comment would be consideration of evaluation at a medical school hospital. The doctors at these facilities have more experience in evaluating people with unusual presentations and rare diseases. They would be a better option even when specialists in other hospitals are perplexed as to the cause of symptoms.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to add that's she had a barium swallow that just showed she holds it in her mouth a long time before she swallows. How would I get a ent and how would I go about speaking to a person from a medical school hospital
Her primary care doctor is the usual route to arrange an appointment with an ENT specialist or a medical school hospital. You can also access certain specialists directly, if they are established to see patients privately, but the usual route is through her primary care doctor. If you wish to pursue private consultation, there are online resources to help find a specialist that is close to you, such as at http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/doctors-and-health-professionals/.