Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am passing red, thin collagen-like fragments in my stools.

I am passing red, thin collagen-like fragments in my stools. They look like a red rolled up stick in the stool, but can be unfurled and then have the shape of a flag or a leaf. It feels like a very thin piece of fabric or paper with one slightly shiny side and one matt side. I have passed different sizes, the largest is 4 cm long. I can send photos, to help with the identification. It cannot be food related as the edges are perfectly smooth, and look as if they had been cut out with scissors. Would be very grateful for any suggestions as to what this might be.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

how old are you?

are you male or female?

I would be happy to see photos

but you still need to see a doctor to get stool testing and stool blood testing

if you are over age 50, you might need a colonoscopy to look into your colon.

here are instructions of how to upload a photo from a computer to the site

type a word in the textbox and highlight it

then select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpg

this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a 50-year-old female. Have had problems with my bowels (diarrhea/loose stools) during several weeks early in 2015 and now it has appeared again from early August and ongoing. Had a colonoscopy done in March which showed no problems. Please find photos of red object attached. Parasite? Part of the bowel? Have also attached a photo of something else that looks odd, that also came out with my stools recently. Could it be a part of a bile duct?

Kind regards,

Veronica Wikman

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
those aren't parasites.

they are sloughing of the epithelial lining off of the bowel wall

this can happen when you have diarrhea or inflammation of your bowel lining

if you are allergic to gluten or lactose, you can have diarrhea and inflammation of your bowel lining.

if you eat bad food or don't wash your hands or have virus or bacteria in your food, this can result in diarrhea and sloughing of the epithelial lining off of the bowel wall.

they are not part of the bile duct.

they are not parasites.