DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I can see bright flashes in my vision--apparently in both eyes,

I can see bright flashes in my vision--apparently in both eyes, and only in near total darkness or with my eyes closed--when I move my eyes rapidly to one side. This does not always happen, but I have noticed it at night if I get up to go to the bathroom in the dark. I first noticed it about a week ago. I have no idea why--I just happened to move my eyes quickly and noticed it. I'm due for an eye exam. Can I wait to get my eyes checked then, or is there a more urgent situation possible? I do not not any other unusual or recent problems with my vision.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like a normal visual symptoms.
Anyone in the dark, with eyes closed, moving them rapidly to the side, will often see light flashes.
Am I getting this right? Or is there another symptom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, that seems like what I'm describing. I had a friend recently have emergency surgery for a detached retina. Maybe it made me paranoid. I had never seen it before.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This sounds normal.
Of course , keep your eye exam and do it as soon as you can, but it sounds OK.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.