Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Problem with food sticking in my gullet . ihave had barium

problem with food sticking in my gullet . ihave had barium swallow meal and also throat endoscopy all reveal everything normal but it is still happening?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi.First off can you please tell me all you can about what's going on and how long it's been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

been going on for about two years but it does not happen every meal I take.Usually evening main meal.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Raymond but I need to know exactly what happens please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The only way I can give you a proper answer is after I have enough information Raymond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Chip,

Sticking has never happened with breakfast meals of cereals and toast. It usually happens about five or so minutes after starting my evening meal with food sticking at some point in the lower section of my gullet. I begin to feel sick and need to go to bathroom to regurgitate, Having been sick I can usually carry on with my meal quite normally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

problem has never happened at breakfast time with cereals and toast it usually happens about five or so minutes of starting my evening meal although not every evening. Food seems to stick low down in my gullet and I begin to feel sick, I have to go to the bathroom to regurgitate. After being sick I can usually carry on with my meal without further problem.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Raymond.
Have you had a screen for an H pylori stomach infection and did you have a gastric emptying study?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don,t see how it can be an infection since I have had this prblem for over two years. No I have not had stomach emptying screening.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all the questions Raymond--

You said throat endoscopy--was that upper GI endoscopy that included your esophagus and stomach?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

REPLY

I am now quoting from the Endoscopy Report , INDICATIONS FOR

EXAMINATION -Dysphagia

ENDOSCOPI C DIAGNOSIS--Normal gastroscopy, No cause for dysphagia was identified.

The scope was inserted to the Second Part of Duodenum

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Raymond
I still say that this could be an H pyloric stomach infection so you need a screening for that
The other possibility would be gastroparesis--a too slowly emptying stomach--so you need a gastric motility study to check for that

Let me know if you need any more information please