Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a yellow/white patch of skin just in the entrance

I have a yellow/white patch of skin just in the entrance to my vagina. The skin around it seems to be almost peeling away. There also seems to be some cracks around it. I did not actually notice that there was anything wrong until I looked and I think stretching the skin may have caused some of the cracking.
I had no itching or burning ect. I should state that the yellow/white patch of skin is flat, doesn’t really seem like a sore and is not fluid filled or anything.
I am a little worried about herpes. However, this would be my first outbreak if that was the case. I had no itching or burning before I looked and it does not look like blisters just peeling and cracks. I also haven’t had sex for over 7 weeks and I assume if it was herpes it would have come sooner than now? It was a little sore yesterday as I assume that from looking and stretching the skin it caused more cracks. But today it is slightly less sore, so again I assume that herpes would still be very sore today?
I should also say I stopped taking my pil this last month as I am not sexually active and wanted a break.
I have no other symptoms.
Expert:  dr prabir kumar das replied 1 year ago.
HiFrom your description it seems to be an yeast infection. Please apply anti yeast cream for few days and see whether any improvement.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I asked some specific questions which were not answered
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.
Could the area of peeling be an ulcer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well its hard to say there are definately cracks in the skin but i stretched it to have a look and I know i have sensitive skin there anyway because it often splits after sex and my gyn said it was just tearing. I had a HSV test on one of the splits a few years ago and it was negative.

I am worried about herpes, but would a first outbreak be so long after sex and no itching. the areas of peeling do not contain any fluid. In addition, i only looked because I check myself every so often, not because I had any symptoms. When I stretched the skin to see, i noticed cracks around the yellow/white skin. It hurts now because i have been fretting and looking more. But there was no obvious pain or sores before i looked.

So I am just wondering if for some reson my skin was irritated and the stretching to see caused cracks. Because I assume with herpes I would have felt there was something wrong or itching/pain.

Cracks are not typical or worrisome for herpes. If it is an ulcer, then it could be herpes.

The first outbreak of herpes would typically not occur this long after an encounter, but this may not be a first outbreak, particularly since it is not just a single area.

Herpes does not always cause symptoms that are noticed by the individual. There are some people that have a positive blood test for genital herpes that have no recollection of any sores that are typical for herpes. There are also some people that only recall recurrent single herpes sores and do not recall a primary infection. And while most people that develop sores will have pain or tingling associated with the sores, there are some people that will have sores but no other symptoms.

When we talk of the symptoms and timing of herpes, that is referencing the common pattern of symptoms in the people that have noticeable symptoms, but since some people can be infected without any symptoms, the timing of first symptoms relative to the last sexual encounter cannot exclude the possibility of herpes. Similarly, the presence or absence of pain or soreness cannot make or exclude the diagnosis.

So, it is the appearance of the area that may or may not be suggestive of herpes. From your description, it does not sound like herpes. If you want to be more certain that it is not herpes, then it would require examination and a blood test for herpes antibodies.

In addition, as the other expert noted, it would be reasonable to use an anti-fungal medicine, as the area is more suggestive for a fungal infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify it is only one area. There is a yellow/whit mark (not sore or appearing to be cut) and it is the area surrounding this, it looks like its red raw peeling skin, with some splits. If they are ulcers it would be one very large ulcer, but there is no fluid and none of the peeling is very deep. I assume an ulcer would be more defined? Im not really sure what an ulcer would look like?

I will try the antifungal. Is it possible something has irritated my skin and just the looking and stretching has caused it to crack/peel?

Thank you for your help

An initial outbreak of herpes would usually have multiple ulcers, but recurrent outbreaks will typically being single ulcers. Yes, an ulcer would typically have a well demarcated border.

Although a fungal infection is the most common cause of the description that you provide, it is possible that it is something else, and a local irritation to something to which the skin has come in contact is possible. There also are certain inflammatory conditions that can affect the genital skin and have this appearance.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.