Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have NOT had unprotected sex but year I have

Customer Question

Hello, I have NOT had unprotected sex but for a year I have had a tingling sensation at the end of my penis and it started two weeks after I had sex with a condom. I was worried it was an std but I had a test in London for the main types and it was all clear - that was 16 days after protected intercourse. Am I paranoid as this won't go away, what else could it be? My doctor said it could be uti but that should have cleared by now? I'm worried it is std but the test said no and I used a condom? Is the timing just coincidence? Could it be just a nerve issue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This is probably a prostate gland infection and not an STD. You need a urinalysis with culture to detect that and a two week course of an antibiotic like Septra should clear it up.
Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. So to be 100% clear, a prostate gland infection can cause tingly at the top of the penis? I have sometimes had a very light burning when urinating but not consistent and very mild and usually only first pee of the day...?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can. Very typical symptom for that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Including the burn? My doctor did check my prostate and said it was perfectly healthy but I don't suppose a physical feel would have been any good for an infection? Seems strange why a prostate infection causes irritation in the penis? Can you explain please for peace of mind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ps what is the cause of prostate gland infections please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Even with a normal feeling prostate there can be an infection.
The symptom is called referred pain--sent along the nerves around the prostate gland to the penis. It's similar to when a ruptured disk in the back presses on a nerve root and causes a pain in a leg.
Usually the cause is E coli and it can happen in a man just as a woman can suddenly get a bladder infection out of the blue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help, the mild burning when urinating can also be a symptom of the infection?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's also a common symptom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure--any time