Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a cough which feels like it comes from just under my

I have a cough which feels like it comes from just under my right collar bone and not my chest, it feels loose sometimes when I cough and then it will go away for a while and then come back, I cough and it seems to dry up and go away but then returns later, I have recently had a cold and had my chest checked and it was all clear but just wonder why this is happening?? Any ideas are welcome on what could cause this??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--any chest pain with this?Are you bringing any phlegm up with the cough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No chest pain and not really any phlegm
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Debbie.
How long have you had the cough?
Any problems with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really no, it's been a couple of weeks with the cough, it feels as though there is phlegm built up just under the right hand side of my collar bone I cough it clears then feels like it dries up and goes away for a bit it seems to happen like 3 times a day where it feels like it is there, it doesn't wake me up at night, no shortness of breath at anything like that, sometimes it feels like if when I have a shower and I put hot water from the shower on the area that it clears it if that makes sense??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So it's almost like a burning feeling in that one area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not burning it feel like a pocket of phlegm in the area but then after coughing it clears until the next time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. First off nothing too serious Debbie
Sounds like an allergy problem and you can try either Claritin or Zyrtec once a day for a week to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't you'd need to see your doctor for something more allergy-specific like Singulair

Let me know if you need any more information here please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you--that's the only way I get compensated for the time I spent with you