Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

It says the following on my lumbar MRI: Paraspinal muscle atrophy.

It says the following on my lumbar MRI: Paraspinal muscle atrophy. What does it mean and what can I do about it, if anything.(is it the same as spinal muscle atrophy, if so, do I need a blood test to confirm?) It also says bilateral sclerosis of the SI joint (sacro-iliitis), what does this mean? I have an ESR of 25 and ANA: 160, all other tests negative for RA, CCP, lupus etc as I have swelling in both knees and ankles too.
What is the cause of so much pain and stiffness in my back? At least 3 days in the week I have to be fed lying down in my bed by family as in pain and exhausted. (I will receive results for blood test HLA B27 On Wednesday)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi.Paraspinal muscle atrophy--weakening and loss of the muscles up and down the sides of your spine-- usually is from a genetic disorder and you need testing for the SMN and VAPB genes for that.Sclerosis of the SI jpints basically is a type of arthritis and loss of the joint space there.That said, you need more specific testing for RA.If you haven't seen a rheumatologist as yet that would be the next step.Treatment would depend on the exact diagnosis Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does that mean the MRI information is not a confirmed diagnosis until I have the blood test?
With the sacroiliitis, I have tested negative for RA twice. I would be grateful if you could direct me as to what else it could be.
I have seen x3 rheumatologists in the last 2 years, no one has diagnosed me despite agreeing I have stiffness and pain in my spine, and inflammation in knees, ankles and spine.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, the MRI isn't confirmatory--just adds information that suggests the diagnosis. The other possibility here would be ankylosing spondylitis and there may be more than one thing going on here.