Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have flown into Bristol from Australia last Sunday. Before

I have flown into Bristol from Australia last Sunday.
Before I left had an inner ear infection which am taking anti biotics for.
Since I have been here (a week now) my ear has not popped and has continual ringing in it.
Whilst it is not sore it is very annoying and I am continually trying to hold my nose and blow to try and pop it.
I am leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow on a plane and am now a little concerned that it may cause a problem whilst I am in Europe for a week or that the flight may make it worse.
Can you give me any advice.
Many thanks.
Jane
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaneIt sounds like you have a problem with a blocked Eustachian tube--the connection between your middle ear and your nasopharynx that normally equalizes pressure across the ear drum.You can try a saline nasal spray or a saline nasal irrigation system to see if that will unblock the tube but you may need a course of prednisone to take care of it.The best thing to do for now if possible is to have a doctor check you out but if that's not practical today the flight won't make this any worse.Let me know if you need more information please