Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am worried if I am suffering from any liver cirrhosis

Customer Question

I am worried if I am suffering from any liver cirrhosis from heavy alcohol consumption. I don’t have any pains, my general health is great, but from what I have been reading online, they say you could have early symptoms and not even know about this.
I am 35 years old, and I have been drinking for about 10 years now. Im not a everyday drinker by any means, but I definitely have been binge drinking for at least 3/4 times in a month during the first 5 years, only on weekends. During the binge sessions I would consume up to 10 units in a short few hours. I had a blood test done in 2011 and all the results where good and no problems at all.
Since 2012 I have cut down by at least half the amount and I normally just binge drink 2 times a month and abstain from alcohol the remaining days. I also don’t drink for 1 entire month every year.
I consume at most 8/10 units during the binge sessions, and probably a little more when I got for a 1 week holiday in the summer and winter. I suffer from the morning hangover and im fine after that.
I wanted to know if this pattern has caused me any sever damage to my liver. I use to get some dull pains towards by back many years ago but not now, could that be liver inflammation?
Im scared at this moment to think maybe I have passed the fatty liver symptoms a few years back and now I may have moved on to something severe.
I have done a new blood test today and I have not done one for up until the last one I had in 2011
I want to know from your advise if It is possible for to be suffering from liver disease given the information I have sent now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
routine blood tests such as AST and ALT does not elevate until you have advanced liver damage.
more sensitive testing such as GGTP and liver MRI scans can see earlier liver damage before cirrhosis.
you have already caused some damage to your liver from your repeated binge drinking
you need to see a doctor and get liver MRI scan and GGTP blood tests which I bet will be elevated
if you are interested in continuing to stay healthy and keeping your liver for the rest of your life, you need to ask for help to stop your binge drinking and to ask for help to stay away from alcohol
the only way to know about your liver is to get more testing and to see a doctor for more tests.
I bet you have elevated GGTP enzyme from your liver
get a liver MRI scan or ultrasound to see if you have fatty replacement of your liver now
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply,
Is it possible do have alcoholic hepatitis at this stage from the amount of drinking I have done?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you would have symptoms if you have alcoholic hepatitis now
you don't have that now
but you most likely have elevated GGTP enzymes and some fatty replacement of your liver
if you continue to drink, you run the risk for alcoholic hepatitis and stomach ulcers and abdominal ascities and liver failure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr David,
Thanks for all the information so far,
Regarding to drinking, I dont have a problem to stop all the binge drinking. I believe I can do that as I am now aware that I have been causing my body damage overtime.
For example if I stopped binge drinking completely and dont drink for 6 months or more, is it possible for me to still have the occasional drink in moderate amounts like a one off in a party or celebration?
What has scared me so much is the information that i have read on the internet, i have read on medical website its very possible to have cirrhosis and have ANY symptoms during the earlier stages, is there much truth to this?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Cirrhosis is a late stage of scarring (fibrosis) of the liver after years and years of liver disease.
so you can't have early stage cirrhosis.
you can have early fatty replacement of your liver being replaced by fat by heavy alcohol use and many binge drinking episodes.
and you can have this without symptoms.
you need to see a doctor to get testing to see where your liver is at right now.
it sounds like you are still looking for a doctor to tell you that it is ok for you to drink in the future.
I am not sure what you mean by "moderate" amounts. this can mean different things for different people.
any more than 1-2 drinks per night will cause damage to your liver and body
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it safe to say if I stop the alcohol completely there is a good change for my liver to return to normal condition?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, if you stop alcohol completely your liver will return to normal condition.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr DavidI got my results today:
Bilirubin 16
Alkaline Prosphatase 87
Alanine Transferase 30
Gamma GT 16
Aspartate Trasferase (Storage Changes) Not enough Sample from finger prick testI did the blood test via a finger prick test - from the results would you suggest any fatty liver or alcohol related liver problem?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
bilirubin should be 1.6
total bilirubin levels should be 1.9 or lower
your levels are fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you doctor you have been very helpful - one final question i just wanted to ask - do you feel I should do the blood test again to get the Alanine Transferase result, or from the results obtained its safe to say im ok regarding my liver
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
ALT is normal from 10-40
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003473.htm
your blood tests are fine
but you still need to stop binge drinking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr David
Sorry I meant the AST score - Aspartate Trasferase - this was not collected in the recent test.
Do I need to do this again? or am I ok with the results obtained?
Ofcourse I will stop binge drinking complete now thats for sure. Not taking no more chances now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, get your blood test repeated to get the AST level.