Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My tongue is quite red and a short while ago after eating pineapple

My tongue is quite red and a short while ago after eating pineapple it started bleeding al over - only lasted a few moments but has left a very sharp tangy taste behind
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything?
Is this the first time this happened after eating pineapple or have you had such an occurrence previously as well with it?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have COPD and am on 24 hrs oxygen Also Spiriva,fostair and ventolin inhalers. Taking alendronic acid for osteoporosis and bumetanide and rabeprazole. Have had some occurrences of the sore tongue before but not the bleeding.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert.I don't think this is just from the pineapple. The bleeding is concerning, though and you should have a doctor look at it. This could be a sign of a vitamin B12 deficiency or it could be a fungal infection of the tongue. Gastric acid reflux would also be a possibility
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that your bleeding tongue may well be related to the steroid inhaler i.e. fostair that you are using.
It can cause a sore tongue by causing a yeast infection on the tongue which can bleed if you take something like pineapple.
If your symptoms persist I would recommend that you be examined to confirm the diagnosis and be treated accordingly.
The good thing is that your tongue has stopped bleeding for now but I would still like that you be seen to be sure.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine