Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am anna, I have thrush which I have had

Customer Question

hello I am anna, I have thrush which I have had for nearly 2 years now which is not going away I have tried some medications such as fluconazole, canasten pessary (which you insert in to the vagina) and the canasten cream (which stops the itching).
I can say none of the medications that have been prescribed to me have worked at all and have not even shifted it.
the only medication that worked was the canasten cream which did stop the itching.
I don't know what to do next as my doctors just keep telling me to do the same thing which I have done already.
can you help me please. :)
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

some fungal infection can take months to clear.

fungus likes to grow in dark moist areas like the vaginal area

if you have excessive moisture in the vaginal area, you need nystatin antifungal powder to use daily to help keep the area dry

you also need to take probitoics and eat yogurt daily to help add good bacteria into the vaginal canal to help fight the infection.

you need longer term antifungal therapy

you should not stop your treatments when they don't work in a few weeks.

antifungal therapy can take 4-8 weeks or longer to clear bad fungal infection.

fluconizole is diflucan and is a strong antifungal pill which over time can help fight fungal infections all over your body.

but you have to finish the course of therapy

you should also avoid sexual activity until this fungal infection is cleared. sexual activity and increase moisture in the area which can continue to feed the fungal infection.

let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have a different answer.Fungal infections typically do not take months to clear: unless there is an underlying problem.You need to have your doctors consider a lab cultureAnd even a biopsy if the irritation is culture negative. This will rule out other skin diseases.Diabetes needs to be ruled out, along with other potential underlying problems.Eating probitotics does not help as much as a product such as rephresh, which is a probiotic for the vagina directly.You can get this in any pharmacy. Overall inflammation needs to be reduced with an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet. And of course, good hygiene practices, etc. I would not self treat at this point, but take my suggestions to your doctors.Please click a positive and let me know if you have more questions.Dr. Thomas...here daily. I am a double board certified USCLINICAL doctor.I am also board certified in integrative medicine [alternatives] and you can find me daily by request for all medical questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay now I don't know what to do as I have 2 different answers.

what do you think is best for me as I no longer want to have this thrush infection I have had it for 2 years now and is uncomfortable for me to know I have it everytime I go toilet.

what is best for me?

HII have just explained that.;Culture for the labSee if there actually is any bug, it could be bacterial or fungal, and treat according to findings.If no bug, then a skin biopsy.Then, all of the other maneuvers I said above.I will repost the answer here:Fungal infections typically do not take months to clear: unless there is an underlying problem.You need to have your doctors consider a lab cultureAnd even a biopsy if the irritation is culture negative. This will rule out other skin diseases.Diabetes needs to be ruled out, along with other potential underlying problems.Eating probitotics does not help as much as a product such as rephresh, which is a probiotic for the vagina directly.You can get this in any pharmacy. Overall inflammation needs to be reduced with an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet. And of course, good hygiene practices, etc. I would not self treat at this point, but take my suggestions to your doctors.Please click a positive and let me know if you have more questions.Dr. Thomas...here daily. I am a double board certified USCLINICAL doctor.I am also board certified in integrative medicine [alternatives] and you can find me daily by request for all medical questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay just so you know I was also told from my doctor that it is an bacterial infection,

we have also done some swabs to see if it could be any sexually transmitted infections like chlymidia, gonnorhea and TV but they came back fine.

Then it is not an identified bacterial infection.Your doctor needs to seen a test for ALL bacterial cultures, not just stdsAnd all fungal cultures.Treat only according to lab findings.If there are none, then a sample of the skin should be sent to the lab.this is Medical standard of care. Please click a positive rating.Come back as needed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

if you still have excessive moisture in your pelvic and vaginal area, you have to fix this excessive moisture to keep the fungal infection from coming back.

fungal vaginal cultures can take several weeks 2-4 weeks to come back.

you do need a gyn exam and vaginal culture

and you should not be stopping your therapies early

this can lead to chronic fungal infections

you need to go back to your doctors for more testing

and avoid sexual activity for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay will do but at the moment I am not taking no medication.

I think what I will do is speak to my doctor and see what they think is best since ihave tried most medication and is not working.

but they did tell me it is an anti-bacterial infection.

what I want to know, which I have not received an answer for yet is, what medication do you think I should take now for the time being to atleast relax the vigina bacterial infection?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
stopping medicaitons early doesn't mean those antifungal agents did not work.

fluconazole is an antifungal medication

canasten is clotrimazole and an antifungal cream.

if you have a bacterial infection, you need an antibiotic agent like metronidazole or flagyl

most vaginal bacterial infections can be treated by flagyl or metronidazole

but it is always best to get a vaginal examination and vaginal culture.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** take the metronidazole into account, it sounds really positive.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome

don't forget to leave positive feedback for me below

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com