Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

If a person was to start to haemorrhage from the oesophagas/

If a person was to start to haemorrhage from the oesophagas/ lungs what would be the correct things to do and what would be the chances of survival
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
HI. That's kind of a broad question--was there a specific situation that made you ask this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A family member who had lung cancer haemorrhaged and died I just need to know if placed in that situation what would be the correct thing to do to help and what would be survival chances
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Hannah. I would assume the bleeding was from a vessel in the lung that had been eroded by the tumor. Proper treatment would likely be emergency surgery but considering the age of 72 I'd say there was very little chance of survival.

If it wasn't considered a surgical situation, IV fluids, blood and platelet transfusions and bronchoscopy would be the protocol but again I'd say the prognosis would be very poor.

Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it happened in the home what should be done
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Keep the patient in bed and call for an ambulance--there really would be nothing that could be done at home